Backing up your wallet and associated files is a good practice on a regular basis, especially when any changes are made such as:
- A new address is generated in the wallet
- When adding new coins to your wallet
- You have just encrypted the wallet
The BitGreen wallet stores its information in a wallet.dat file, located in the appdata folder.
To perform a backup of your wallet
From the file system, open the BitGreen data folder and copy the wallet.dat to another location.
Alternatively, if you already have the wallet open, ensure it is unlocked and from the menu navigate to File > Backup Wallet – a dialog will prompt you to save the wallet.dat file.
You will also find historical backups of the wallet.dat file under the backups folder.
Restore your wallet using an existing wallet.dat backup file
In the instance where you need to restore your wallet from a backup, ensure that you already have a wallet.dat file that has been backed up from an earlier point in time.
- If the wallet is running, close it down.
- Open the BitGreen data folder and delete its contents.
- Run the BitGreen wallet, then after the initial loading screen, close it down regardless of whether it has synchronized with the network.
- Copy your backup wallet.dat file into the data folder, overwriting any existing files.
- Run the BitGreen wallet and allow it to fully synchronize with the network.